Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Burning the Quran ???

A church in Gainsville, FL is proposing International Burn A Quran Day. As a former Muslim, I have a some thoughts.
1) Politically, this is a bad move. It will just inflame the Muslim masses and let us be honest. It does not take much to get them going.
2) Aesthetically, it is not a good thing. Despite the doctrines and origin of the Quran, the calligraphy and the recitation of the Quran is noteworthy for it's artistic value.
3) As regards civil liberties, I believe this church is, absolutely, within its rights to burn the Quran or any book. I would support the legality of burning the Bible too (though not like it or do it myself).
4) From a religious perspective, I believe that the Quran is simply a book of Biblical stories (given a heretical spin) and Semitic folklore articulated as Arabic poetry. Whatever is good (morally, historically, or spiritually) is based in the Judea-Christian tradition. The other stuff (likes the gems of wife-beating, misogynism, jihad, violence and general intolerance towards non-muslims) rounds out the collection. I have a general aversion to burning books (any books). But f there was a book whose influence I would like to see eradicated, it is the Quran. In the final analyse, I would say it is a bad idea to burn it, but I do not hesitate to put it on the list of books that screwed up the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment